This photo, taken by Harry Erickson, is an aerial view of ships docked at San Diego Marine Construction Company in 1941.
The San Diego Marine Construction Company was established in 1915 by Captain Oakley J. Hall as the San Diego Marine Construction Shipyard. The shipyard was at its greatest production during World War II, when the demand for ships soared.
The variety of ships built there during the war included:
▪ YMS-1-class minesweepers;
▪ PCS-1376-class patrol craft sweepers; and
▪ YP patrol craft.
The company was sold to Campbell Industries in 1972. It was sold again in 1979 and renamed Southwest Marine. Boatbuilding ended in 1983. Southwest Marine was sold to U.S. Marine Repair in 2003. The named changed to BAE Systems Ship Repair in 2005. It was sold to Campbell Industries in 1972 and later to Southwest Marine, who converted it to a repair facility. After that it became the San Diego division of BAE Systems Ship Repair.
The shipyard is located at 2205 East Belt Street, San Diego.